Blog #3
Digital Citizenship Addressing Appropriate Technology Behavior
By Mike S. Ribble, Gerald D. Bailey, and Tweed W. Ross
The article titled "Digital Citizenship Addressing Appropriate Technology Behavior" by Mike S. Ribble, Gerald D. Bailey, and Tweed W. Ross is very interesting. Millions of students are using modern technology everyday. Therefore, with the increase in students using modern technology, we must educate students on the rules and etiquette of using modern technology. I find myself guilty of breaking some technology etiquette. I answer my cell phone when I am having a face to face conversation. I even answer the phone when I am eating dinner. Students should learn the rules of technology etiquette, but we should expect them to break some of the rules sometimes because adults do to.
What about situations where you are not trusted to use technology etiquette. When I took the CBEST they took everyone cell phone. Adults were not trusted to follow the rules and not use their cell phones during the exam. This is a case where technology etiquette is enforced. I disagree with the article that if students use slang and abbreviations in text messages, that it will lead to using bad grammar. I use abbreviations all the time when writing notes, but know when not to use it when I am writing a paper or letter for school or a job.
Safety is an issue that must be addressed with students when using modern technology. I happen to know a couple of co-workers who got carpal tunnel syndrome from working on computers. It is crazy to think of something simple as typing on a computer can cause an illness. In conclusion, schools and parents have the responsibility to teach etiquette on modern technology. Students are using a lot of these modern technologies at home as well as in schools.
Question #1: Do you think students will follow all the technology etiquette rules?
Answer #1: No. Students will break some of the rules, and so will adults.
Question #2: Who do you think is responsible for teaching and ensuring that students are following the technology etiquette rules?
Answer #2: The parents and teachers are responsible to teaching the students the technology etiquette rules. The parents have to make sure the students enforce the rules, especially because the students might face consequences if they break some of the rules.
Marilyn Johnson
Monday, June 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment